Retargeting: What Is It?


Have you ever been surfing the internet and realized that you are seeing ads for a website you recently viewed? That is retargeting. When a visitor lands on your website, a “cookie” is placed on their computer. The “cookie” enables you to continue advertising to that website visitor after they have left your website. Retargeting advertisements are designed to bring potential patients back to your website again to complete the desired action.

Retargeting Explained

Retargeting, or remarketing, is a type of advertising that follows website visitors around on the internet after they have left your website. For many websites, about 2% of inbound traffic converts (completes a desired action) on the first visit. Retargeting works to bring the other 98% back to the website. It is effective because it focuses an advertising budget on recent website visitors. Retargeting is so effective because it targets those online users who are already familiar with your practice and have shown interest in your services. So, how does this work?

How Retargeting Works

Retargeting can be best explained with a hypothetical example. Suzie visits your dental website, looks at the services you provide, but leaves your site before requesting an appointment.

Website with Retargeting Technology

After leaving your site, she continues to surf the internet and sees your ad on other websites. The ads invite her to come back to your website. This is a typical example of a retargeting experience.

Retargeting Ad on Another Website

Implementing Retargeting

Before we begin to implement retargeting, we research each campaign in depth. Next, we identify the service or services that potential patients are most interesting in learning more about. Lastly, we create a retargeted ad based on this information. The ad focuses on these facts and encourages these potential patients to re-visit your website and request an appointment.

Find out more about retargeting and how it can drive more business to your practice, call 1-800-IMATRIX today.


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments